Our feet have a rough time of it; they carry us the equivalent of five times around the earth in an average lifetime, yet we give them less attention than they deserve and we rarely wear the best shoes for our feet.
Top tips for foot care:
- Keep your feet clean by washing them every day in warm soapy water.
- Dry your feet thoroughly after washing them, especially between the toes.
- Trim your toenails regularly using proper nail clippers. Cut straight across, never at an angle or down the edges.
- Change your socks daily to keep your feet fresh.
Top tips for purchasing footwear:
- Make sure you can wiggle your toes a little inside your shoes.
- Try on both shoes and walk a few steps to see if they pinch or rub.
- Choose leather uppers or materials that allow your feet to breathe and mould well to the shape of your feet.
- Feet tend to swell a little during the day, so if you can try and buy shoes in the afternoon when your feet are at their largest.
- Visit a member of the Society of Shoe Fitters for a professional fitting series.
- Always buy the right shoes for the purpose, you don’t want to be wearing a high heel if you are planning on going a holiday that will require a lot of walking.
- Buying shoes in a ‘Sale’ may save money but could cost your feet dearly. Ensure they fit correctly.